How the G-TELP
differs from other tests
The G-TELP system differs significantly from other prominent English language tests in several ways:
- The G-TELP is criterion-referenced, whereas other commonly used tests are norm-referenced. G-TELP proficiency assessments are made according to universally recognized criteria that describe the ability of the examinee in the performance of specific language tasks. In contrast, norm-referenced tests compare the examinee's test scores with those of other examinees. Those scores serve as general indicators of language proficiency relative to that of other test-takers, but provide no objective, diagnostic information.
- The G-TELP tests provide detailed, task-referenced information on the examinee's performance, contained in a profile report that is formative rather than summative. This diagnostic report indicates what individuals can do with the English language, thus making it possible to better ascertain performance levels of competence, as well as strengths and weaknesses. This information is invaluable for decision-makers in industry and education.
- G-TELP levels 1-5, Only Level 1 to 4 are available in Japan, necessarily paper-and-pencil tests, more closely approximate a measure of communicative competence in grammar, listening comprehension, reading comprehension and vocabulary, because they utilize real-world, authentic tasks, situations, and materials.
- The G-TELP provides a measure of general English language proficiency, instead of focusing on just academic or business contexts such as those tests required to secure university admission or a position in an English-speaking country.
- The G-TELP evaluates the skills of examinees at five different levels(four levels in Japan) of competence. By focusing on a specific level of proficiency, each test achieves more extensive sampling of performance than a single test which assesses multiple levels.
- The G-TELP is primarily designed for in-country use in environments where English is not the primary language, and is usually available from licensed, highly qualified agents in many countries.